Epworth Breast Service /Miss Jane O’Brien are covered by
The Health Privacy Principles (the HPPs as set out in the Health Records Act (Vic) 2001) and the National Privacy Principles, (the NPPs as set out in the Privacy Act (Cth) 1988).
To comply with our obligations under the HPPs and the NPPs, we have policies about how we manage information about you and how you may access that information.
Epworth Breast Service takes its obligations under the Victorian Health Records Act 2001 and the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988 seriously and would like to take all reasonable steps in order to comply and protect the private of the personal information that we hold.
This policy sets out how we intend to do so.
Collection of Information
Epworth Breast Service collects and holds personal health information about you.
Epworth Breast Service collects information from you so that we may properly assess, diagnose, treat and be proactive in your health care needs.
All members of the professional team involved in your care will have access to your personal information.
This means we may use and disclose the information you provide in the following ways
- Disclosure to others involved in your health care, including treating doctors, pathology services, radiology services and other specialists outside this medical practice. This may occur through referral to other doctors, or for medical tests and in the reports or results returned to us following the referrals
- Disclosure to enable recording on medical registrars (example The Victorian Cancer Registry)
- Administrative purposes in running our medical practice, including our insurer or medical indemnity provider, and quality assurance and accreditation bodies
- Billing purposes, including providing information to your health insurance fund, the Health Insurance Commission (Medicare) and other organisation responsible for the financial aspects of your care
- Conducting research
- Assisting with training and education of other health professionals
In most cases we will obtain information directly from you or your treating Doctors.
Our goal is to ensure that your information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. To assist us with this, please contact us if any of the details you have provided change. Further, if you believe that the information we have about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, contact us and we will use all reasonable efforts to ensure the correct information.
We will take all reasonable steps to protect the security of the personal information that we hold. This includes appropriate measures to protect electronic materials and materials stored and generated in hard copy.
What happens if you choose not to provide the information?
You are not obliged to give us your personal information. However, if you choose not to provide Epworth Breast Service with details requested we may not be able to provide you with the full range of our services.