MB.BS FRACSSpecialist Oncoplastic Breast Cancer Surgeon
Jane O’Brien is a specialist oncoplastic breast cancer surgeon who specialises in surgery for breast cancer and prophylactic/preventive surgery for high risk individuals.
Her area of special interest is in “oncoplastic” breast surgery, aimed at maximising the cosmetic result following breast conservation surgery for breast cancer using advanced surgical techniques, and nipple-sparing mastectomy and reconstruction, both in the preventive setting and as treatment for cancer.Read More
- The Breast Centre remains open, however to minimise the risk of exposure to patients who are awaiting surgery or undergoing neoadjuvant chemotherapy and also to staff, only new patients with a confirmed breast cancer diagnosis or highly suspicious imaging are currently being seen.
- All breast cancer surgery is currently proceeding as normal at St Vincent’s Private Hospital East Melbourne, as it is classified as Category One, and as such not subject to the ban on non-urgent elective surgery announced Wednesday 25.3.20
- Urgent appointments for patients with a confirmed breast cancer diagnosis or highly suspicious imaging, may be made by contacting the practice on 03 9928 6261 or faxing a referral to 03 9928 6260
- A RAPID ACCESS PATIENT APPOINTMENT FORM may be found on our website – www.thebreastcentre.com.au
- All review appointments, excepting postoperative checks, remain suspended indefinitely/cancelled until further notice.
- Regular updates will continue to be posted on this website and on our social media channels (www.facebook.com/DrJaneOBrien and www.instagram.com/DrJaneOBrien)
ATTENTION ALL PATIENTS, DOCTORS AND PRACTICE MANAGERS
BREAST CENTRE COVID 19 UPDATE
As Jane O’Brien’s practice has evolved over the years, the focus has increasingly been on surgery for breast cancer, and prophylactic/preventive surgery for high risk individuals, and there is currently extremely limited capacity to take on new patients with benign breast conditions. Urgent appointments are set aside in all consulting sessions to accommodate patients with a confirmed or strongly suspected diagnosis of breast cancer in a timely fashion, however unfortunately the capacity to routinely offer appointments to new patients who have symptoms and imaging which is not suspicious of breast cancer is very limited.
Specialist Oncoplastic Breast Cancer Surgeon
Fewer than 9% of Australian surgeons are female, and The Breast Centre at St Vincent’s Private Hospital East Melbourne is therefore very fortunate and proud to be able to offer our breast patients the expertise of a highly trained and extremely experienced female specialist breast and oncoplastic surgeon, with extensive international training and experience.
This website is not intended to provide exhaustive and detailed medical literature all of which can be found on the many high quality recommended breast cancer websites. It is hoped that it provides useful information and assistance on how to make informed decisions on some of the less widely covered practical aspects of breast cancer care, including what issues to consider when choosing your breast surgeon.